Action 21 is a local volunteer-based charity that aims to reduce the environmental impact of the Leamington and Warwick communities and raise awareness of the benefits of sustainable living.
We do this by promoting the development of sustainability -themed skills, sharing information, and running the Re-Useful Centre — a facility which sells donated manufactured goods, thus saving them from landfill. The income from the sale of these goods is used to support and run sustainability-themed projects.
Action21 was launched as a social enterprise in 1996, in response to Agenda 21 of the 1992 Rio de Janeiro Earth Summit. In June 2010 it acquired charitable status.
Our charitable aims
“to promote the protection and preservation of the environment for the public benefit by the promotion of waste reduction, re-use, reclamation, recycling, the use of recycled products and the use of surplus for the benefit of the inhabitants of the District of Warwick, and its environs. To also advance the education of the public in subjects related to sustainability in areas related to Energy, Food, and Transport through practical projects.”
What we’re aiming to achieve:
Action 21 aims to reduce waste, promote reuse, increase knowledge, and support our community in living more sustainably.
For the environment, we aim to:
- Reduce the amount of reusable goods going to landfill
- Reduce the consumption of fossil fuels in the local area
- Encourage the consumption of locally produced food, thus saving on food miles.
For the local community, we aim to:
- Raise awareness around how to live more sustainably
- Provide a source of quality re-usable items at low cost
- Provide education and training opportunities related to living sustainably
- Offer group activities and volunteering opportunities designed to strengthen the local community.
For individuals, we aim to:
- Enable upskilling, thus increasing employment opportunities
- Offer a variety of volunteering opportunities to meet a wide range of personal, social and work-based motivations
- Provide a safe, friendly and rewarding volunteering experience.
Since 1996, we have run many different projects and services in the areas of re-use, transport, energy and food, which have translated into the following measurable successes:
- Around 1,000 tonnes of waste diverted from landfill (as of February 2016).
- 183 kWp of solar electrical energy generation capacity installed (as of January 2013).
Our future focus
In the coming years, our key areas of focus will be:
- Reducing the environmental impact of the Leamington and Warwick population;
- Further developing opportunities that engage the local community in Action 21’s activities;
- Increasing our provision of learning opportunities in the areas of re-use, energy, transport and food that contribute to the upskilling of the local population.